10.17.2011

An Outpouring of Love

Facebook Post from September 7, 2010 at 11:42pm
"A thousand thanks to all the Baltimore angels who descended on my home this weekend. You know who you are, and words can't express my gratitude."

Facebook Post from September 12, 2010 at 9:19pm
"So grateful to my Cromwell Station family for all their love and support. Loved the basket and blanket - you are absolutely the best! Saving Second Base - FIGHT LIKE A GIRL!!! Love you all :)"


Truly, there are not enough words to express my gratitude for the love and support we received throughout this journey, and especially during those first few months. My family was buoyed up each day by those who reached out to our family, and we could not have made it through without that outpouring of love. I will never be able to repay the kindnesses shown, and I will be forever grateful for the generosity of our family and friends. In addition to the countless cards and gifts we received to help and encourage us, here is a list of some of the things people did that made a difference to me and my family:

• Amazing friends organized a group to clean and organize my home (including gutting a bathroom that was in need of repair!) while we were away at a family wedding in early September. Can we say above and beyond?
• Neighbors put together a thoughtful basket of things I might need during chemo (water bottle, mouth spray, gum and candy, a journal, etc).
• Co-workers of my husband, wanting to help but not knowing what to do specifically, collected monetary donations for our family. In the end, we received almost $4000, which was used to hire a cleaning service and help with medical costs and things around the house. What a blessing!
• A sweet friend set up a calendar on Lotsa Helping Hands so others could sign up to help with meals and childcare during my chemo weeks. There were more than 50 friends on the list, and within a week, meals were scheduled 4 months in advance. I have never felt so loved!
• An incredible friend donated airfare so members of our family in California could travel out to help during my treatment weeks. The help was so needed, and would not have been possible without such a generous offering.
• A family friend in California began sending me weekly notes of encouragement in the mail. This lasted each week until my treatments were over in May! What a treat to get these in the mail each week, and many were posted on a bulletin board in my house to remind me to be strong, even on my worst days.
• A neighbor, who happens to be a nurse, volunteered to give me my Neulasta shot (an immune booster given the day after chemo) at my house, saving me several thousand dollars ($50 to do it at home, or $2000 in office. Which would you prefer?)
• A co-worker of my husband nominated our family to be a recipient of the Pink Dish! Campaign through Let’s Dish! in Baltimore. We received 8 yummy freezer meals (which I had them divide into 16 smaller meals) – all completely free. They were a lifesaver on nights that I wasn’t up to cooking.
• Another group of friends organized a playgroup so my 3 year old daughter would have something fun to do one morning a week. They even arranged transportation for her on the weeks I wasn’t up to driving.
• A wonderful neighbor enrolled my daughter in a music class once a week and provided transportation for her, along with countless hours of playtime at her house so I could rest.
• A sweet friend came over one day a week to help me clean, organize and help with my daughter as a service to me and my family.

I can’t tell you the number of people who told me they were praying for me and my family. It was incredible! The strength I received from the numerous prayers offered by so many was something I will never forget. There is such power in prayer! A special fast was even held amongst our Stake leaders, and multiple people put our names on the prayer roll in temples all across the country. All of these things combined helped to uplift and sustain me, even in my darkest hour.

2 comments:

  1. Jenna- I just read every post on this blog...laughed and cried. You are amazing and I feel blessed to have been in your ward for a little while. Thank you for sharing your experience and yourself through this blog. I feel so inspired by your faith, humor, and love.
    -Maggie Woodland

    ReplyDelete