10.17.2011

Komen for the Cure: October is a great month to have breast cancer


The day following Dulcolax Disaster Day was the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure in Hunt Valley, Maryland. The race is held on a Sunday here in Maryland, and while I wouldn’t normally miss church to attend a race (no matter how good the cause, I know where I need to be on a Sunday morning), this race happened to fall on the same day as general conference. That meant we didn’t have meetings that morning but we would get to watch to the broadcast from Salt Lake at home, beginning at noon. The race was at 8:30am and given my recent diagnosis, my family and I decided to go ahead and walk it. I even ordered t-shirts for my family from CafĂ© Press for the race. Michael’s shirt read “I wear PINK for my WIFE.” Ryan’s shirt said “TOUGH KIDS wear PINK.” The girls had the same shirt “I wear PINK for my MOM.” And my shirt read “FIGHT like a GIRL.” We were all set!

After the horrible night I had experienced, I was afraid I wouldn’t have enough energy to walk even the 1 mile family fun event. I knew there were a few neighbors and friends who were planning on attending with me, and I didn’t want to let them down either. I woke up early that morning to shower and see how I felt. I certainly wasn’t 100%, but I felt well enough to give it a shot. There was a knock at my door around 7 am, and when I opened the door, I was stunned. There were more than 20 people waiting on my front steps, lawn and sidewalk, all ready to walk with me! I was instantly brought to tears. What an incredible surprise. There were signs with our team name “Sweet Jenna” in big bold letters; Komen shirts and homemade shirts and hats, all to support me. It was all organized without my knowledge by the most amazing friends, and I couldn’t have felt more loved and supported than in that very moment.

We drove over to the race and while I didn’t feel great, I knew if I just pushed through it I would probably be fine. How could I miss out on this incredible experience and let everyone down who had shown up to support me? Upon our arrival, I was further surprised to see even more friends join us at the event. Our group had nearly 40 people, all there for me. Words cannot express the gratitude I felt that morning.

When the walk began, I remember looking ahead of me at the sea of people out walking and thinking to myself that all these people were here to raise money to find a cure for the cancer that I had at that very moment. Most of them didn’t know me, and I didn’t know them. But here we were, all walking together. It was an incredibly moving and spiritual experience for me, one that I will not soon forget. I was blessed to be able to walk the entire mile course without any problems, plus the half mile to and from the car. The Komen race gave me the strength to keep on fighting.

Facebook Post from October 3, 2010 at 1:12pm
"Many, many THANKS to all my B'more peeps who showed up on my lawn at 7 am and walked with me today. You are the best, and my first ever Komen Race was awesome. Love you all!!!!!"






2 comments:

  1. Okay, this one made me cry. I love that all your friends showed up to support you. Also, love the shirts you bought!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love your friends for their great support.

    ReplyDelete