10.21.2011

Mama's Back!

My husband makes me laugh. It is one of the things that I love most about him. Neither of us can sing well, but it has never stopped us from belting out a note now and again. Michael loves to annoy our kids by singing funny songs to them in a deep voice, or he will sing one line and expect them to sing the next verse back to him (“Popcorn Popping” is one of his signature hits!). He can always make us laugh, and his singing will lighten the mood in any situation. It made me happy that my months of chemo were no exception.

When the fog was lifted after each treatment and I would return from that nasty dark place chemo takes you to, Michael would sing “Mama’s back! Back again!” I was often quiet and withdrawn the first week or so after treatment, but the day that I would bark at someone, boss someone around, or take charge of a situation (like my normal self :), he would say “Mama’s back!” I know how miserable I was; I can only imagine what it was like for him to watch his spouse go through something so horrible and be completely helpless. He was grateful when the normal Jenna would return to our family. So was I.

Hot flashes also took on a musical note around here when Michael would sing “One Hot Mama” a la Trace Adkins as I whipped of my hat/sweatshirt/blankets to cool off. I have to admit, this was one of my favorites. I just love a man with a sense of humor.

3 comments:

  1. I love this post! It made me smile! You two have never lacked in the humor department!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading this and could hear Mike's voice in my head while reading it. I don't know how anyone can make it through difficult times without a sense of humor. Glad you had so many people there to help out and lift your spirits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would loved to have heard him say this......it made me smile. So happy he could make you laugh.

    ReplyDelete