10.20.2011

The Food Network, My New BFF'S

In my attempts to prepare for the days I would inevitably be in bed with nothing better to do than watch TV and feel like poo, I brought every chick flick that we owned up to my bedroom and placed them in a basket on top of my mini-fridge. I even added a movie to the collection here and there. I had books on stand by as well, ready to be read at a moment’s notice. Wanna guess how many movies I watched during my entire 4 months of chemo? NONE. Books? NONE. Funny, huh? I was too tired to watch an entire movie. I would doze on and off all day, and it got really annoying to have to keep rewinding a movie because I had slept through a 20 minute section. I was also too sore/tired/sick to keep getting up and changing the movies. My eyes were too sore to read. My brain was too fried to take in the complexities of a good novel. (This will come as a shock to those of you who know me, I know!)

So I did what any semi-respectable person stuck in bed, perpetually hungry with a bad taste in her mouth would do. I started watching Food Network. The shows were short, they were always happy. Everyone’s food always turns out perfect. I didn’t have to read a thing. If I fell asleep, no problem! Another show was always on next, and its easy to tune in half way through. Within a couple days I had the entire daily line up memorized on The Food Network and Cooking Channel. My days of misery were now spent with my new best friends Ina, Paula, Giada, Bobby and even the great Julia Child. Half of what they made sounded divine; the other half made me nauseated. But they were always there, my trusty celebrity chefs with their styled food, well lit kitchens, and a smile to greet me. I swear I even gained a few pounds just by watching.

2 comments:

  1. Jenna, what a great idea to start a blog--you are a talented and very entertaining writer! I love your description of Food Network! You were/are an inspiration to all of us in how you handled things with humor and optimism!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. I so understand this. They were my besties during the summer of 2010. Although I was too sick to enjoy eating or preparing food, watching it being made and dreaming of the day when I could was fabulous.

    ReplyDelete