10.17.2011

Dulcolax is Not for the Faint of Heart!

Don’t let the nice green packaging fool you. When purchasing a stool softener/laxative, I was a sucker for the packaging. I saw the nice green and brown Dulcolax box and immediately thought natural, gentle, good for you. I was the sucker every marketing focus group hopes for. But I am here to tell you that there was nothing subtle or natural about my experience mixing Dulcolax and chemotherapy. Read at your own risk ☺

First, let me back up and share a bit about how my first chemo treatment affected me. I wasn’t completely miserable, but just felt crummy over all. The best way I could describe it was that it was similar to morning sickness, only with a flu-like quality. I was hungry, but nothing really sounded good. And then I had heartburn after I ate. I had a yucky taste in my mouth that wouldn’t go away and my tongue felt as if it was burnt. I couldn’t use regular toothpaste any more, but had to use the Biotene products meant for dry mouths. And boy was my mouth dry! I knew I needed to drink lots of fluids to flush out the drugs (at least 60 oz a day), but it was hard to even take just a few sips in the first days following treatment. I found that a straw was super helpful in getting liquids in and bypassing my burnt tongue and altered taste buds. Round one, and Jenna became the queen of the juice box!



It may sound strange, but even the hair on my head hurt, like it had been up in a ponytail too long. I was tired, but couldn’t really sleep, as the steroids kept me awake and jittery. I could smell the chemo drugs as they slowly made their way out of me. And my head felt really floaty, like my brain was swimming in my head. It was all so very strange. I had walked into the infusion center that Monday morning a healthy feeling 34 year old woman, and within a few days, I felt as if I were 80. If round one was bad, what was round six going to be like?

Facebook Post from September 30, 2010 at 4:25pm
"Oh, it is a fine line between nausea, heartburn and hunger. Wish I could tell which was which :)"

I never threw up, and fortunately the anti-nausea medication kept the nausea at bay. I was taking Emend the day before chemo, the day of and the day after, and was given Zofran to take as needed. I also received my Neulasta shot on day 2 post treatment, and was told to expect even more flu-like symptoms on days 3 and 4. Round one with Neulasta wasn’t too bad, but I would notice a difference in the treatments to come.

My kids handled my sickness well, for the most part leaving me alone, and coming up to my room when they needed to talk. I think I spent the better part of those first few days resting in bed or on the couch downstairs.

I was told that I needed to make sure things were “moving along” in the bowel movement department, especially during the first week post treatment. The anti-nausea medication has a tendency to make you constipated, and it was important to keep things regular, to get all that chemo crap out of you. Literally. While I noticed things slow down a little bit in that department, I thought that because there was at least some movement, I was ok. Wrong!

Dulcolax Disaster Day was Saturday, October 2. I was day 6 post treatment and wasn’t feeling too great, and I had an inkling that things might be a little backed up. I decided to take the Dulcolax that morning, again thinking “gentle relief.” Ryan and Stella had soccer games and team pictures, and then we headed home to listen to general conference (a church broadcast held twice a year). I lay in bed feeling worse and worse, trying to sleep and find some relief.

Just before 6pm I began having horrible pains in my stomach and I took up residence in our half bathroom for the next little while. I will spare you the all the gory details, but lets just say that Dulcolax acted like dynamite to the cement that had taken up residence in my bowels. My evening in that bathroom was worse than anything I experienced giving birth to my three children. I sweat through 2 shirts and my makeup looked much like the crying Tammy Faye Baker when all was said and done. Lovely image, right?

My poor husband! When he came to check on me, the look on his face said it all. I was in bad shape and short of taking me to the hospital, there wasn’t much he could do to help. In an attempt to get the kids fed, he began heating up some leftover pizza in the oven. When the smell of the reheating pizza hit the bathroom, I thought I just might die! It made me feel so much worse. I was so weak when all the business was done, Michael had to help me up the stairs to my bedroom. He also had to help me change my sweat-drenched clothes - I just didn’t have the strength to do it myself. I was shaking and had horrible chills and tried to get some rest, but it was difficult.

Not wanting to ever repeat that experience again, I quickly learned that the key to a successful round of chemo was good poop! Who would have thought? It was out with the Dulcolax and in with the senna laxatives. I found that by starting the senna two days before treatment and continuing it until day 4 or 5, I kept things moving enough that I never had a recurrence of that night of horrors.

I am sure hearing about my bathroom dilemma was the last thing you wanted to know about, but hey, everybody poops, right?

3 comments:

  1. I've read every word so far. I've laughed and cried and wished I would have know to do more to help you. But, hands down this is my favorite post! I'm anxiously waiting for you to write about your JP drain ball! I'll never forget how funny you were telling us all about that when you came over for recipe night with your Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Jenna, you busted Steve and I up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I remember this one.....not a fun time. But funny too. Lesson well learned on what to use. :D

    ReplyDelete